About the Position
Democracy Forward seeks a highly collaborative advocate with legal and regulatory expertise who will help to execute the organization’s mission of using the law to advance the promise of democracy and social progress in the United States. This position will support Democracy Forward’s mission to educate the public regarding policy issues affecting democratic values and social progress, including supporting Democracy Forward’s diverse client set and legal and regulatory advocacy work.
The ideal candidate will have experience with a range of progressive issues at the intersection of law and policy, have experience in federal regulatory processes, and have a demonstrated record of working with national, state, and local partner organizations and allies to advance shared goals. The candidate must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and effectively manage multiple issues and projects simultaneously. Particular expertise in economic justice, labor, consumer protection, health care access, and/or governmental accountability and transparency issues is considered a plus.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated record of precise, technical and persuasive writing and be able to draft policy reports, educational materials, and federal regulatory submissions (comment letters, responses to requests for information, etc.) that advance progressive policies. The candidate will also demonstrate strategic thinking and have experience working to advance policies that have a positive impact on historically and currently marginalized communities. The candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to inclusion, equity, and justice and will seek to advance the organization’s values both internally and externally.
This position will report in a matrixed structure to the Chief of Staff and the Legal Director (when conducting work to support the legal and regulatory programs) and will collaborate with all teams in the organization. It will have significant daily exposure to and work to support the President in the execution of Democracy Forward’s mission and strategy.
Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Democracy Forward’s legal, communications, external affairs, and leadership team to achieve organizational and client goals. Work closely with Democracy Forward’s clients, partner organizations, and coalitions to support litigation, legal advocacy, regulatory advocacy, and public policy education.
- Develop and publish reports or other written products that educate the public regarding policy issues, regulatory engagement, and legal issues, working collaboratively with Democracy Forward communications, external affairs, and legal teams to leverage their expertise.
- Work with Democracy Forward legal team, under the supervision of the legal director, to conduct research, draft regulatory comments and other governmental submissions, and/or contribute to other legal and regulatory projects.
- Conduct research on a range of legal and policy issues, including those implicating economic justice, health care access, good government, environmental justice, community empowerment, civil rights, among others.
- Provide guidance and support on public policy and regulatory advocacy, partner engagement, and strategic engagement, including through analyzing, reading, interpreting complex legal and policy documents, regulations, and court opinions.
- Serve as a liaison to other organizations, policy experts, and broader stakeholders to help identify opportunities for strategic regulatory and legal strategies that advance democratic values, social progress, government transparency.
- Engage in other duties as organization evolves and grows.
Typical Education & Work Experience (Qualifications)
- Juris Doctorate Degree or equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 to 10 experience in a similar position, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years of experience engaged in policy and regulatory work engaging with a range of stakeholders and producing a variety of written products, reports, and/or regulatory submissions.
Typical Functional Experience (Qualifications) You are encouraged to apply if you have any combination of these skills.
- Experience working to build coalitions and collaborative relationships among national, regional, and local organizations and stakeholders. Demonstrated effectiveness in working productively with impacted populations and coalitions.
- Experience working in policy expert capacities in non-profit organizations, government, or other institutions and the intersection of law and policy.
- Experience conducting statutory, regulatory, and legislative analysis, legal research and writing, and using legal, regulatory, and policy change tools and awareness of political landscape.
- Experience drafting regulatory and/or other legal or governmental submissions.
- Demonstrate ability to cultivate relationships with diplomacy and work effectively and respectfully with diverse organizations, people, and communities.
- Effectively communicate information, ideas, including in writing and through persuasive public speaking skills.
- Ability to compose precise, effective, and grammatically correct reports, submissions, and correspondence appropriate for the intended audience.
- Demonstrate initiative, including pro-actively identifying and addressing issues and making recommendations.
- Demonstrate a high attention to detail.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize own work and the work of others.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute affirmatively to a working environment of equity, justice, and inclusion.Adaptable team player with the ability to engage various constituencies in a complex environment.
- Ability to recognize and define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions in the context of a variety of situations with multiple variables, both predictable and unpredictable.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. During COVID19, the position can be performed via telecommuting and in non-pandemic times, the organization maintains a flexible hybrid working environment.
Meet some but not all of our qualifications? Don’t let that deter you from applying. If you believe that you could excel in our organization and believe in our mission, we hope you apply. We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you are new to non-profit or legal work, returning to work after a gap in employment, simply looking to transition, or taking the next step in your career path, we hope to hear from you. Please use your cover letter to tell us about your interest in our work and what you would bring to the role for which you are applying.