As the pandemic continues to rage in schools across the country, politicization of mask wearing is impeding protection of children’s health in schools and the right of some children to attend school in person.
Policies should be informed by science, evidence, and medical expertise. The nation’s leading children’s health authority, the American Academy of Pediatrics, has made clear that the science behind masking policies is sound. There is no credible scientific evidence that masks harm children or otherwise negatively impact speech and language development. Indeed, the medical literature to date shows that masks can save lives. Masking policies in schools are especially important for students with disabilities who are particularly vulnerable to COVID-19.
It is important that courts have access to the views of leading medical professionals. On behalf of the nation’s leading children’s health professionals–the American Academy of Pediatrics and its state chapters–Democracy Forward has filed briefs in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wisconsin to ensure the courts have access to the scientific and pediatric medical professional consensus around the threat of COVID-19 to kids.
Democracy Forward is elevating the voice of science and medical expertise in the courts to protect children’s health. We are honored to represent the nation’s leading medical professionals in addressing children’s safety and health concerns that arise throughout the country.
Last Updated: February 11, 2022
- Schwaigert v. Lee Amicus Brief as filed (09/07/2021) (pdf / 578 KB)
- S.B. V. Lee Amicus Brief as filed (09/14/2021) (pdf / 575 KB)
- Arizona School Board Association v. State of Arizona as filed (09/10/21) (pdf / 462 KB)
- AAP - GA AAP Amicus in Gwinnett County, GA (9/27/2021) (pdf / 326 KB)
- AAP - Texas Pediatric Society Amicus Brief in ET v Abbott (9/29/21) (pdf / 385 KB)
- AAP - TN AAP Amicus in TN (10/1/2021) (pdf / 270 KB)
- AAP - SC AAP Amicus (10/1/2021) (pdf / 480 KB)
- AAP - Utah AAP Amicus (10/6/2021) (pdf / 305 KB)
- Florida Chapter AAP, AAP in 11th Circuit Court of Appeals (10/13/2021) (pdf / 256 KB)
- AAP, AZ AAP Amicus in AZ Supreme Court (10/15/2021) (pdf / 195 KB)
- Williamson & Franklin - Order Granting PI (10/22/2021) (pdf / 222 KB)
- AAP, CA AAP Amicus - California (10/26/2021) (pdf / 597 KB)
- SC - Court of Appeals Issues Order Denying Stay (11/10/2021) (pdf / 91 KB)
- TX - Order Granting Injunction Against Abbott's Order (11/10/2021) (pdf / 1 MB)
- AAP, PA AAP Amicus in PA Supreme Court (11/23/21) (pdf / 329 KB)
- AAP Amicus in OK Supreme Court (12/3/21) (pdf / 310 KB)
- AAP Amicus - Arkansas (12/28/21) (pdf / 179 KB)
- TN AAP, AAP Brief in Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals (1/6/22) (pdf / 257 KB)
- Texas Pediatric Society, AAP Amicus in Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (1/13/22) (pdf / 838 KB)
- AAP, WI AAP in Western District of WI (1/21/22) (pdf / 452 KB)