Democracy Forward seeks an experienced, motivated, organized, and detail-oriented individual to support our Litigation and Legal Assistant teams. You will also coordinate with the Litigation, Communications, and Policy & Research teams to support Democracy Forward’s work, be responsible for the management, training, overall development, and support of the legal assistants. You will also assist with their work allocation.
- Support the Legal Director, Deputy Legal Directors, and Democracy Forward’s litigators in the day-to-day management of the Legal Team, including the management of new matter openings and matter close-outs, document retention, conflicts, and tracking of legal matters and file management
- Supervise, manage, support, and develop the legal assistant team, including serving as the primary point of contact for legal assistants on day-to-day workflow;
- Provide regular check-ins with the legal assistant team and litigation team to ensure appropriate resource allocation and excellent work product;
- Provide training, development, feedback, and opportunities for growth for the legal assistant team;
- Develop and implement comprehensive legal assistant onboarding and ongoing training programs as well as legal practice policies;
- Assist with the onboarding of new litigation hires;
- Conduct 90 day reviews for all new legal assistant hires, and annual reviews including preparing communications, finalizing review forms;
- Collaborate across teams, including regular collaboration with communications, policy, research, operations, and executive teams
- 5+ years’ experience working as a legal assistant in a litigation setting;
- Experience managing complex workflows and mentoring & training junior legal assistant team members;
- Demonstrated commitment to Democracy Forward’s mission;
- Well-developed collaborative and interpersonal skills, including demonstrated self-awareness, commitment to diversity and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds;
- Commitment to workplace inclusion and ability to contribute affirmatively to a just and equitable workplace culture;
- Must be based in the Washington, DC area and be able to be available in Democracy Forward’s Washington, DC offices as needed.
Democracy Forward provides a competitive, lockstep and transparent compensation and benefits package. The salary range for this position is $75,000 – $90,000 based on years of relevant experience and seniority. Democracy Forward is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We strongly encourage people of color; lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex people; women; people with disabilities; and veterans to apply.
Meet some but not all of our qualifications? Don’t let that deter you from applying. If you believe that you could excel in our organization and believe in our mission, we hope you apply. We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you are new to non-profit or legal work, returning to work after a gap in employment, simply looking to transition, or taking the next step in your career path, we hope to hear from you. Please use your cover letter to tell us about your interest in our work and what you would bring to the role for which you are applying.