Democracy Forward is seeking an experienced attorney to help carry out our litigation program. The ideal candidate will have experience in all aspects of litigation involving federal agencies, including investigating and researching potential claims, drafting complaints, briefs, and supporting documents, and participating in hearings and arguments.
- Legal claim evaluation: identify and evaluate potential matters for litigation, including novel applications of established legal doctrines and innovative use of little-used statutes.
- Litigation: serve as lead or co-counsel in proceedings in the federal district courts and the circuit courts of appeals, including advising clients on litigation strategy, risks, and objectives and carrying out all aspects of the litigation. This includes representing Democracy Forward and external clients in litigation handled entirely by Democracy Forward attorneys or co-counseling with law firms or other entities.
- Legal writing: draft complaints, briefs, and other pleadings as well as FOIA requests and letters to agency Inspectors General.
- Cross-cutting work: team with Democracy Forward’s public affairs and research specialists to maximize public impact and awareness of our legal actions.
- At least five years of experience litigating cases on behalf of or against the federal government, including arguing in court. Experience working independently and having primary responsibility for matters are plus factors.
- Familiarity with legal doctrines applicable to litigation involving the Executive Branch.
- Familiarity with the Administrative Procedure Act, and the ability to analyze and comprehend complex regulatory schemes.
- Ability to conceive, develop, and execute case ideas.
- Ability to work with ambiguous or novel legal issues and fact patterns.
- Ability to write clearly, concisely, and persuasively for legal and lay readers.
- Ability to work collaboratively and respectfully on a team of attorney and staff professionals.
Democracy Forward provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Democracy Forward is an equal opportunity employer: women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Please note that all lawyer positions require a law degree and active membership in the bar of a state or the District of Columbia.