Democracy Forward Foundation seeks a motivated, organized, and detail-oriented individual to support our Litigation team. You will also coordinate with the Litigation, Communications, and Policy & Research teams to support the Foundation’s work.
- Assist in preparing, cite-checking, reviewing, filing, and organizing litigation documents such as pleadings, briefs, motions, and declarations
- Collect, analyze, and organize legal, factual, and other non-legal research for use in litigation
- Track litigation deadlines and manage the master calendar
- Attend weekly planning meetings
- Prepare updates on the legal landscape of relevant issues for Democracy Forward staff
- General administrative support as needed
- Other tasks as assigned and interested
We’re looking for a strategic doer who thrives in a small-team environment. You might be a good fit for this role if you’ve had an internship or worked in a government office, law firm or other legal organization, non-profit, or campaign and are interested in learning more about the fundamentals of litigation; if you’re interested in joining a team committed to challenging unlawful and unethical activity; and if you’re interested in working in a mission-driven environment.
The following experience and skills are preferred:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Experience in a legal, government, or nonprofit setting is preferred.
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong research skills.
- Ability to work independently, within a team, and under deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Willingness and ability to quickly learn skills necessary to support the Litigation team, e.g. cite-checking, legal research.
- Highly motivated, able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and see them through to completion.
- Strong computer skills with knowledge and experience in Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat; expertise creating tables of contents, tables of authorities, and maintaining information in databases or spreadsheets is a plus.
Democracy Forward provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. Democracy Forward is an equal opportunity employer: women, minorities, members of the LGBT community, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Please note that all lawyer positions require a law degree and active membership in the bar of a state or the District of Columbia.